Tuesday, July 6, 2010

"It's the best."

After a long sleep following the previous night's adventure, we did our own thing on Saturday.  The family went to the Vatican and Sistine Capel.  I went back to the Pantheon to find the best gelato EVER!  I drew a picture in my journal from 1999 and found the place.  It has a different name but the same woman is there and the gelato is just as I remember-the BEST EVER!  I also hit up Piazza Navona.  Then I ventured to the Jewish Ghetto, seemed a lot like Brooklyn to me, and the Trastevere across the Tiber River.  It was HOT on Saturday.  Like, I was soaking wet.  When I got back to the hotel the family was there and they loved the Vatican, especially St. Peter's.  The lines are usually really long but apparently Aunt Karen was able to woo the guard, cut the line and bring the family along.  They didn't wait a second to get into the place.  We pretty much had dinner after that and packed up for our trip to Positano.

The train ride to Naples was quite an experience.  When we got on the train we entered the wrong door so we had to make it all the way back down to the end of the car.  There was a cluster of people speaking all different languages(one of my favorite parts of traveling)so we had to communicate the best we could.  We stood and stood and stood waiting for people to figure it out.  The way it works is most people, including us, buy a ticket and get reserved seats.  However, many times if you have a rail pass you don't have an assigned seat.  So people with no seat were in other people's seats.  That was the confusion.  After, I would say, 20 minutes and kicking two guys out of our seats, we were ready to go.  Sitting next to Kris was Francesco, a young Italian cutie pie. 
I took a picture on my small camera but don't have the proper cord to upload those photos.  He immediately took out a Rubix Cube, held it in front of us and said, "What?"  Kris took it and started playing with it.  Francesco spoke no English so she just had to show him. It was back and forth between them trying to figure it out, but then we had to get off the train.

When we arrived in Naples our drivers, Joseph, another Italian cutie, and Gui-something, I preferred to call him Tony Soprano, pulled up in their Mercedes to take us to Positano.  They were both super nice.  After a stop off at a fruit stand, we arrived at Villa Rosa.


100 steps later, we arrived to the room.  It wasn't without complaints from the Wilbury's, but the view is simply AMAZING from our room.  We are on the top floor, well because, "It's the best," right Vivian Ward?  Right!

The view from our room/patio.

*We have been here a couple of days but the internet is slow so I have been unable to update.

1 comment:

A New Yorker Takes on Chicago said...

JUST AMAZING!!!! Positano is one of my MOST Favorite PLACES EVER!!